#DIDYOUKNOW : The Graphics Interchange Format, better known by its acronym GIF (/dʒɪf/ JIF or /ɡɪf/ GHIF), is a bitmap image format that was developed by a team at the bulletin board service (BBS) provider CompuServe led by American computer scientist Steve Wilhite on June 15, 1987. It has since come into widespread usage on the World Wide Web due to its wide support and portability.
No doubt they are popular, no doubt we use it regularly while communicating with our friends. Recently my friend Ashish Peshave tweeted that LinkedIn has added GIF in the message box. Hence thought of writing this blog post. Thanks Buddy for the news 🙂
So coming back to the question… can HR folks leverage GIF’s to communicate with candidates? You might think “Why on earth would a candidates like to see a GIF from HR?” Time to walk the talk. Out Hiring Champs at Tieto have created a series of GIF’s around various Domains that they are hiring for. Hence these creative GIF’s were shared with the prospective candidates and also on Corporate Social Media Channels. And guess what; also to the once which have been offered. Yes, you read it right. Offered Candidates.
The Impact: Most of them replied back thanking the recruiter for sharing information about the areas, domains, skills etc they will be working on. This helped them to also share it with their friends who were working on similar domain/ skills.
- Short Duration has a positive impact – 20 – 30 seconds
- Easy to share (Not a heavy file)
- Can be shared via Whatsapp (Biggest advantage)
So, can HR folks leverage GIF’s? The straight answer is YES. This is just one of the example of how GIF’s can be leveraged by HR folks. Here are few more examples:
- A GIF can be sent to Drop Out Candidates
- Alumni (Ex- Employees)
- Prospective Candidates
- Thank you note to walk-in candidates
- Key HR policies to be converted in GIF’s for employees / external candidates
- And the list is endless…..
It all depends how who and what messaging you want to convey via GIF’s.
Here are the few GIF’s for external communication:
Do you want to work with a company that both challenges and cares? https://goo.gl/nEUnSi
Tieto is the leading healthcare and welfare IT provider in the Nordics, with over 40 years of Nordic well-being expertise : https://goo.gl/73rdRL
#DidYouKnow Tieto is #1 cloud service provider in the Nordics : https://goo.gl/rGHcNN
Looking forward to your views around probably a new way to communicate. What say?
23rd Dec 2009, was all set to have my own blog. Had been reading loads of blogs, commented and shared my views on them. But wanted to setup my own blog where I could share my thoughts, experience and what I learnt . Wanted to write as a layman for the audience; with no place for HR Jargon 🙂 Did struggle on what should be the name of the blog, so did some research. But after a point of time thought that the idea of starting a blog was a random thought, as I was just wandering; so came up with the name ” Rambling Recruiter “. aka wandering recruiter 🙂 This is how the amazing learning journey began.
One thing that I have learnt from Blogging is that “The more I share, the more I end up learning”. Blogging is all about sharing your passion with the audience. You don’t have to be a writer to start blogging. Just go ahead and pen down your thoughts about the subject you like.
I started my journey as a Sourcer and did enjoy every bit of it for 5 year. So my blogs did range from “Yes I’m Proud to be a “Sourcer” | Are you!!!! to Are you up for a Weekend Drive!! Then moved on to so called End to End Recruitment 😉 So the focus of my blogs got shifted towards Recruitment. Those Include – “Sorry, It’s a BAD HIRE!!” to “Ways to bring down cost per hire!!!” During these 8 yrs in my career was always keen to learn new methods and techniques to search talent. This is where I developed my passion towards Social Media. Following are some of the blogs related to the amazing world of Social Media – “Have you identified your Social Media Ambassadors!!” Global List of HR TweetChats right here!!! & Dear HR, Recruiters, Sourcers are you missing this action on Twitter!!!
There were some blogs which were tough to write and more importantly tough to post too. The following blog did give me some sleepless nights. Was not sure if it can be posted and shared online. But then did go all out and shared it. Here is that Blog : India’s largest database of employees!!! Free!! Possible!!
So far it’s been a wonderful learning experience.
Would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone of you for the constant support and encouragement. Looking forward to the next 5 years and also towards contributing to some more interesting topics.
140 Characters of magical world. Twitter has surely given HR Professionals a great place to connect, engage, learn and share with fellow Professionals. As a HR professional, one can gain immense knowledge by just joining various TweetChats, Webinars, Twangout etc. All one needs to have is a Twitter Account.
So Dear HR, Recruiters, Sourcers, do you have a Twitter Account!! If yes, lets take a look at some of the most amazing TweetChats that take place on Twitter. If you don’t have a Twitter Account, you are surely missing on a lot of action that is taking place on Twitter. So what are you waiting for, Open your Twitter Account Right now and follow these Hashtags.
1) #SourcingChat : This is the latest entrant in the world of TweetChats. Its also know as India’s first TweetChat for Sourcing Professionals. Its a great platform for all Talent Acquisition Professionals (Recruiters and Sourcers) to collaborate and share insights on Twitter. It happens on 1st Wed of every month.
2) #hrtrends: PlugHR sets up & runs HR department for companies for a fixed subscription bringing in the best HR practices,across sectors in 7 Indian Cities. They have Twitter Chats which Occurs every Thursday at 4:00pm IST
3) #indiahrchat : #IndiaHRchat is a monthly twitter chat aimed at creating conversation with/for the Indian HR community and those interested in the region. It occurs at 7 PM IST, 8.30 AM EST, 1.30 PM GMT on the last Wednesday of every month.
5) #IndiaHRLIVE – Is there a LIVE TV Channel for #HR Professionals!!! The answers is YES 🙂 @IndiaHRLive Broadcasts LIVE video interviews & Panel discussions twice a month on Tuesday’s 8 pm IST.
6) #Chrdx – This is also yet another TweetChat that involves chats on various HR related topics. It occurs last week of every month.
7) #TalkingMatters – This is People Matters Radio Show Talking Matters. You can join in First Friday of every month!
You can also check the power of some of these Tweetchats right here – http://ow.ly/xEoWl
So what are you waiting for X-MAS 😉 Go on, explore the amazing world of Twitter.
Dear Recruiter’s, how many times have you heard this famous line!!! Well, most of the recruiters might have heard it at least a few times, if not more. So what does this mean!! Who is responsible!! What are the impacts!! Loads of questions right!!! Well, through this post just thought to highlight this statement and the hidden meaning behind it. PS: Not here to point fingers, but just to understand the real reason behind this famous statement. You are at your work station, and suddenly a Delivery Manager comes and shouts “Who hired XYX, he is a bad hire”. So what will be your reaction!! Well, it depends on how you manage it. At times you can just say with a smile, we both have hired him. Jokes apart, we need to find out the real reason behind this statement.
So what do you think can be the reasons!! Let’s take a look at it.
– Employee joins your organization, and the very next day he is working on a project / client place. So in such cases employee is not briefed, no formal detailed induction, no breathing space etc. Hence it is bound to happen that they will have a tough time to adjust to a new environment. Will you term this employee as Bad Hire!!!
– Many a times it is noticed that once the employee joins, the manager hardly meet them. We understand that everyone is busy and working under tight deadlines, but this very person or employees is the reason that the project will run. The organization will earn revenue (Dollars). Is it not worth spending some quality time with them!!! Food for thought.
– Employees who are placed at client location often face some challenges, hence one needs to ensure that you hear to their issues. Again not all issues can be solved, but you can at least hear them out.
– Often have heard and seen clashes between Line Managers and HR teams. In case of Bad Hire the blame game starts. If you agree that it takes a team effort to make any company successful, then you need to also agree that the onus of a so called bad hire lies with both the parties.
– Somehow I feel it’s a Fashion statement to use the term “Bad Hire”. Don’t forget that the person who you have hired, was working in some organization, and was being paid for it. He might find it tough to adjust or work as per your style or needs. But this does not mean that employee is a Bad Hire.
– Top Management will surely argue the cost of a Bad Hire. Well, I completely agree, but in that case also many stake holders are involved to take a hiring decision. Right from Delivery Managers, VP’s, Head of Functions etc. So who is responsible!!
– Some of you might say that let’s change the word from Bad Hire to Wrong Hire, well, that will not help. We need to change the way we look and treat such resources.
– Often it is said that an HR needs to wear a Business Hat!! How about a Line Manager / Delivery Manager wearing a hat of an HR!!! What say!!!
So have you come across this situation!! How did you tackle it!! Do you agree with the term Bad Hire!!! Looking forward to your views, suggestions and feedback regarding this post.
You can also connect with me on Twitter