Dear Recruiter’s, how many times have you heard this famous line!!! Well, most of the recruiters might have heard it at least a few times, if not more. So what does this mean!! Who is responsible!! What are the impacts!! Loads of questions right!!! Well, through this post just thought to highlight this statement and the hidden meaning behind it. PS: Not here to point fingers, but just to understand the real reason behind this famous statement. You are at your work station, and suddenly a Delivery Manager comes and shouts “Who hired XYX, he is a bad hire”. So what will be your reaction!! Well, it depends on how you manage it. At times you can just say with a smile, we both have hired him. Jokes apart, we need to find out the real reason behind this statement.
So what do you think can be the reasons!! Let’s take a look at it.
– Employee joins your organization, and the very next day he is working on a project / client place. So in such cases employee is not briefed, no formal detailed induction, no breathing space etc. Hence it is bound to happen that they will have a tough time to adjust to a new environment. Will you term this employee as Bad Hire!!!
– Many a times it is noticed that once the employee joins, the manager hardly meet them. We understand that everyone is busy and working under tight deadlines, but this very person or employees is the reason that the project will run. The organization will earn revenue (Dollars). Is it not worth spending some quality time with them!!! Food for thought.
– Employees who are placed at client location often face some challenges, hence one needs to ensure that you hear to their issues. Again not all issues can be solved, but you can at least hear them out.
– Often have heard and seen clashes between Line Managers and HR teams. In case of Bad Hire the blame game starts. If you agree that it takes a team effort to make any company successful, then you need to also agree that the onus of a so called bad hire lies with both the parties.
– Somehow I feel it’s a Fashion statement to use the term “Bad Hire”. Don’t forget that the person who you have hired, was working in some organization, and was being paid for it. He might find it tough to adjust or work as per your style or needs. But this does not mean that employee is a Bad Hire.
– Top Management will surely argue the cost of a Bad Hire. Well, I completely agree, but in that case also many stake holders are involved to take a hiring decision. Right from Delivery Managers, VP’s, Head of Functions etc. So who is responsible!!
– Some of you might say that let’s change the word from Bad Hire to Wrong Hire, well, that will not help. We need to change the way we look and treat such resources.
– Often it is said that an HR needs to wear a Business Hat!! How about a Line Manager / Delivery Manager wearing a hat of an HR!!! What say!!!
So have you come across this situation!! How did you tackle it!! Do you agree with the term Bad Hire!!! Looking forward to your views, suggestions and feedback regarding this post.
You can also connect with me on Twitter
“Appraisals” – The most favorite word of all salaried professionals in this entire universe. Well, once it’s done, most of them end up disliking that word. Why!! Well, it is obvious, once they hear the following statements – “You were good, but you could have done better”, “There is still some scope for improvement”, “We wanted to promote you, but the bell curve is the issue”, “Next year we will surely promote you”. Right!!! Me sure most of them might have heard all these things, or at least some of these in the past. And for those who did not hear any of these, are the few lucky ones 🙂
For a Recruiter, Appraisal Season is where they have to get ready for hiring. Why hiring!! Well, based on the hikes announced by the company, people will decided to stay or quit. If they quit, Delivery managers will raise new requisitions, and the hiring season will be on for recruiters. For HR Professionals, well, it might turn out to be a nightmare, based on the hike declared. And for an employee, well, for some it’s shopping season and for some it’s time to reflect on their own performance. In case you might have missed out previous post about Appraisals, you can view it here – Life of an Employee, HR and Recruiter during Appraisals
The other day I was just going through this article in HBR – How to Write the Dreaded Self-Appraisal . There are some useful tips given in the post about how to manage your appraisals. But there is also a group of people who are not that impressed by the funda of Appraisals. People often end up saying that there is no use of this. Do you also feel the same!!! OK, let’s get back to some good news to all salaried people out there.
Last year, thanks to Infosys, the Appraisal season was not that great. Now you might ask how Infosys can make an impact on our Appraisals!! Well, Infosys did end up announcing that it will not give any hike for its 149000 employees for 2012. That was a major hint to the other IT companies, as this was a massive step by one of the Industry leaders. Soon, there were a series of other companies who too kept the wait and watch strategy on. But other companies ended up giving 8-12% hike, matching the industry average. So will there be a similar hike this time around!!! Based on the following reports, it can be seen that there will be a double digit hike this year.
So is this good news!! Well, for some of them, they would be happy to know that the hike this year will be in double digit. But for some it might not be enough. Well, at the end of the day, nothing seems to be enough, considering the inflation and price rise around us. So what do you think about this Hunting season!! OOPS, Appraisal Season!! How are you preparing to present yourself this season!! Looking forward to your views on the same.
What do you do when someone asks you that one special question “Do you have your Boss added on Facebook? I have come across many of my friends asking me this question – “Should I add my Boss on Facebook? …”Oh My God, my boss has sent a request on Facebook” I am sure you too might have come across such situations..What do you do when the ‘One new friend request’ on Facebook is from a work colleague/Boss? Subject of debate isn’t it? Some find it ok to add his/her boss on Facebook while most of them are reluctant.”. Facebook has over 150 million users and somehow you might end up saying that almost everyone you know is on Facebook. You Family members, cousins, School and college friends and not to forget your co-workers and your BOSS. Don’t forget that your online presence can be a very valuable tool for your career. One wrong word or one bad picture can ruin your online presence and even your career.
I have come across many Facebook Status saying “What a boring day at office” ,”I wish my job was more Challenging”,”Just out of a meeting, it was waste of time” . For some colleagues every waking moment has to be posted on Facebook. I hope they don’t have their Boss in their friend’s list 😉 Although it’s not a crime to post your thoughts on a public forum, but at the end of the day it’s a Public Forum. So be Careful as it’s a small world and hence it’s always advisable to look around and speak (In this case – Post)
Following are some of the tips that will help you decide if you want to add your boss on Facebook and if not, then how to ignore the request.
A) You can Ignore the Friend Request from your boss but you’ll have to figure out a way to ignore the request without offending him or her. (You can also use this for your co-workers)
B) One of the way is to politely explain that you use Facebook only for your immediate family and friends and hence you did not accept the friends request.
C ) Get rid of those party pictures. (Some of you might not agree with this point and might end up saying that it’s my personal account and I can post anything and everything I want. Well, you always have an option to ignore the friend requests from co-workers) 😉
D) You can also create a Facebook account strictly for work. This might be a bit of challenge to manage two accounts, but worth a try for those who do not want to invite your boss to your personal world.
E) Not to mention if other Facebook friends put up questionable photos of you or make unprofessional comments your boss will be able to see them as well. “There’s nothing to stop your friends from tagging you or putting out information,”
F) Think about your status updates before you submit them so that you don’t have to be worried if your boss ends up going through your wall.
At the end of the day it also boils down to the kind of healthy relation that you have with your boss after all your Boss is “YOUR BOSS”. Hence don’t end up taking undue advantage of the trust that your Boss might have on you. Do let us know your views on this interesting topic. Even if you have different view on this topic, I am more than willing to hear you and understand your views.