Yet another positive step towards “Health & Wellness”
There has been a lot of buzz about Health & Wellness. Some weeks back I feel fortunate to be part of a Tweet Chat organized by Life and Money and that did give me a fantastic opportunity to make some research on this important, however most of the time overlooked topic and gain my interest. You can follow #LnMChat on Twitter for more conversations around this topic.
Meanwhile, here are some insights that did help me learn more about why is Health & Wellness so important and need self-attention.
- Indian wellness sector is at INR 500 billion and it is expected to hit the mark of $1 trillion by 2020.
- In India, diabetic nephropathy is expected to develop in 6.6 million of the 30 million patients suffering from diabetes
- Number of people with hypertension was 118.2 million in 2000 to 213.5 million by 2025
Some of us would say that this data is an eye-opener and we need to do something about it. Well, it’s great to see corporates doing their bit towards encouraging employees to take Health & Wellness seriously. Did see lot of action at Tieto that were in the right direction to encourage and inspire employees to work towards their Health & Wellness area. Some of them includes:
- Regular participation and sponsoring Marathons, Inter sports competitions
- Free Annual Health Checkup for all employees
- Fitness Challenge across the company and encourage employees to track their steps
- Gym Kit as a annual gift to all employees
- Regular Health Tips
- Tieto has Launched a dedicate Employee Assistance Program that includes; Counselling & Coaching, Online Self Help Tools, Diet and Nutrition Services, Critical Incident Stress Management for employees
It’s also a great opportunity for us as employees to also leverage such programs. Health & Wellness is not just the responsibility of corporates, nevertheless it’s our responsibility to take care of our health. Would be great to also know and learn how is your company promoting and encouraging Health & Wellness programs.
PS: Organizations are going great length to support health & wellness but if individuals are not participating then it is just another initiative which would vanish soon.