Welcome to the amazing world of Hashtags!!!
Posted by ramblingrecruiter
#Hashtags!! What are Hashtags!! How can it be used!! Will it help me!! Well, these might be some of the questions that may be running in your head. For those using Twitter, might surely have a fair idea and might be also using Hashtags regularly. The following post will answers these questions and will also share some of the examples of how it can be used.
Do you know when was the first Hashtag used on Twitter!!! Chris Messina, a social technology expert, is credited to have come up with the very first Hashtag on Twitter.He first posted the hashtag #barcamp in August 2007. The whole tweet appeared like this:
“how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #barcamp [msg]?”
So let’s begin the journey of Hashtags. Twitter has defined Hashtags in their own way and the definition is as follows – Definition:The # symbol, called a Hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.
So moving on from the definition, Twitter is a great place where people use Hashtags. People use Hashtags especially during LIVE events, Twitter chats and webinars. Why do they do it!! Well, Hashtags are the best way to organize conversations online.
Following are some of the interesting and popular Hashtags that have been used regularly. (Have tried to cover more of India based Twitter Chats)
– #hrtrends: PlugHR sets up & runs HR department for companies for a fixed subscription bringing in the best HR practices,across sectors in 7 Indian Cities. They have Twitter Chats which Occurs every Thursday at 4:00pm IST
– #indiahrchat : #IndiaHRchat is a monthly twitter chat aimed at creating conversation with/for the Indian HR community and those interested in the region. It occurs at 7 PM IST, 8.30 AM EST, 1.30 PM GMT on the last Wednesday of every month.
– #IndiaHRLIVE – Is there a LIVE TV Channel for #HR Professionals!!! The answers is YES🙂 @IndiaHRLive Broadcasts LIVE video interviews & Panel discussions every Tuesday 8 pm IST.
So now that you have a list of Twitter Chats to follow, let’s take a look at some do’s and don’ts while using Hashtags :
– Try using Hashtags which are easy to remember. For example, if your event or Twitter Chat is based on #HR or #SocialMedia, you can use the name of the event ie #SocialMedia2013 or #HRCONF2013 or so on. The idea is to have a unique Hashtag for the event.
– Don’t forget to search for Hashtags, as you need to avoid duplicate Hashtags. As there are regular events happening on Twitter, hence first search if anyone else has already used your hashtag.
– You can search Hashtags on http://www.hashtags.org/ . This is a great place to search Hashtags and it also provides analytics for your Hashtags.
– While posting on other Social Networking sites, do use Hashtags; as this will give you a wider reach in terms of visibility.
– Do not use Hashtags for every word. Example – Don’t forget to join us for #Importance of #SocialMedia for #HR #Professionals at our #HRCONF #Event today at 7pm IST.
So are you all set to enter the amazing world of Hashtags!! Looking forward to your views on how you are using it for your events.