You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression; well this is so true in the case of a new joinee who has joined your organization. Every one of us at some point of time has been a new joinee, and do remember the 1st day at office. (New Office). Most of us do remember our 1st day at office.. Right…. Must be good, not so good and so on.. You might still remember the Buzz around you, all new faces, never ending sessions of introductions, lots of form filling activity and not to forget the most important part… “Induction”
No doubt that every company has their own way of welcoming a new joinee, and also might have a standard process to ensure that the joining of the candidate goes smoothly. But in all this at times we forget that this is a lasting impression that the new joinee might have…. 1st day at office.
Here are some basic tips for bringing new hires on board:
– Ensure that you give full attention to the new joinee. ie avoid keeping the candidate waiting in the lobby / reception, as this is the most common mistake we all end up making
– I know this point might not be always possible on the 1st day, but do try to set up the workstation of the candidate as soon as possible.
– It is always good to inform the joinee about the dress code of office well in advance, so that the candidate does not end up wearing a business suit on the day when you have casuals as dress code on that day;)
– Do ensure that the introduction mailer sent to the employees about the new joinee is checked and re-checked. This is the area where one has to be very careful, as any wrong information published might not be taken well by the new joinee.
– Ensure that you introduce the new joinee to the other employees. May be taking him for a small tour on the floor might be handy.
We always try to look at the bigger picture, but often we miss on the smaller details that end up affecting the smooth process of the new joinee. I am sure you too might want to share your comments and views about this topic. So, How was your first day at your office!!!!!!